Friday, October 16, 2009

Adrenaline's day off...

Today is my 41st birthday and I'm giving my adrenal glands the day off. If you don't live a super-high-stress life, you might be saying, "HUH?"

Adrenaline is that magic substance in our bodies that allows us to keep going, against all odds. Its that thing that keeps us changing loads of laundry at 10:30 pm after a long day of work, occupational therapy, ball games, and homework. Its that thing that allows us to smile pleasantly at our children when they drag the birthday invitation out of their backpack for the party tomorrow, and they need a gift that we're going to have to buy/wrap/etc. Special needs Moms are notorious for having badly depleted adrenal glands. So are combat veterans at the end of a tour of duty. Coincidence? Not according to my doctor, who argues constantly with me about what long-term stress does to your adrenaline supply and, subsequently, the body.

So.......today........I'm ignoring as much as possible. I took a gluten-free/dairy-free cupcake for Jennica down to the school, so that she can have something to "buy" at the Recess Bake Sale today with the 50 cents she took. I went out to the barn, exercised my horse, and groomed him from head to tail. I bought a mocha smoothie. And now I'm going to take a nap, or lay on the couch and stare at the ceiling until the school bus comes with girls. Because I can. And then I'm going to go to the football game tonight and watch Dane's team get killed.....er.......attempt to win. (Sorry Dane. I'm a realist. It ain't gonna be pretty tonight.)

A year ago, when Jennica was first diagnosed with SPD, I would have felt guilty for not spending a day of free-time researching and reading. Not so much anymore. I've finally realized that this war is not going to be won or lost in one day. Its not even going to be won or lost in one year. So I might as well get rested while I can because the next battle is most surely coming.

No comments: