Sunday, September 24, 2006

Eyes in the back of my head

I pulled a good trick on Tiersten not long ago. One that I hope has more than a "tad" of lasting influence over the coming years. It went like this...

One weekend at home, Dane and I were standing in the kitchen chatting. I was performing some myriad of chores, and he was talking to me about some upcoming plans he had. Tiersten was playing in the living room just a short distance away.

As I was cleaning, I stepped to the kitchen sink for a moment and happened to glance out the window. (Now...You have to understand that, from the kitchen window, I have a clear view of the sliding glass door that leads from our living room onto our deck.) Much to my surprise, I spotted Tiersten LICKING the sliding glass door with her tongue. I immediately spoke up, "Tiersten, please stop licking the glass!!"

In her three-year-old's dimension of the world, it never even crossed her mind that I had "busted" her by looking through the kitchen window. She instantly stopped licking the window with this shocked look on her face and came walking over to the kitchen, where I managed to keep a straight face and informed her, "All Moms have eyes in the back of their heads and I could see you." I could tell from the look on her face that she totally believed me and I haven't seen her licking any windows or glass doors since then.

Of course, Dane at 13, no longer believes I have eyes in the back of my head and was trying desperately not to laugh through the whole thing. He knew exactly how I had caught her!! As Tiersten walked back to the living room, he whispered to me, "You are SO mean!!"

I may be mean, but at this stage, I really WANT Tiersten to believe I have eyes in the back of my head. Call it an extra boost to her conscience. It's fine with me if she thinks I can see her from anywhere. :)

No comments: