Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tribute to Nana

February 19, 1912 - September 13, 2006
My grandmother passed away last night. She was a wonderful, delightful little Swedish lady and we will all miss her dearly.
When I was about 8, my Nana moved into a little house just down the road from my parents home. My parents live at the end of a dead-end road and Nana's house was located between their house and the closest arterial, where I caught the school bus. Therefore, every time we went anywhere growing up, we had to go past Nana's house. When I walked to and from the school bus, I had to pass her house, which made it convenient to stop in and grab a cookie, a can of 7up, or whatever other treat she might be offering that day. She was a part of my daily life during my growing up years, only if it was a wave from her porch or yard. That means a lot to me looking back.
The things I will remember most about Nana were her love for drives to the beach, hamburgers, and lottery tickets. She made the best ripple-stitch crocheted afghans in the world. And the newest baby in the family was always the cutest and the smartest baby she'd ever seen. She sang a funky little "doot-le-doot" song when we bounced on her lap that I always recognize when I hear, but can never remember exactly how it goes. For years, I spent every Wednesday evening with her while my parents went to choir practice and she always let me watch whatever I wanted on TV.
A few months ago when she moved out of her home and into assisted living, I was fortunate to inherit a real prize--her piano. It needs tuning and some other work, but I wouldn't have passed it up for anything and I'm honored to have it in my home.
Nana's journey here has ended, but she will live on forever through her children(3), grandchildren(11), great grandchildren(18), and great-great grandchildren(1). My life is richer for every minute I spent with her. She will be missed, but never forgotten. Although I'm a little sad and nostalgic today, I can't help but smile as I think of her being reunited in heaven with her parents, brothers, son, and husband--all of whom she lost too soon. And in her heaven, she will be swimming in the Willapa with her brother George, playing hide-and-go seek amongst the logs on the docks, gardening up a storm, and brewing a good Swedish cup of coffee. We love you, Nana!

No comments: