Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The lack of science in an overabundance of opinions

In the past month, I've noticed increasing media attention on the issue of vaccine safety--a subject already beaten pretty hard. With Jennica's neuro-developmental issues, I've done a LOT of reading about the topic, and on both sides of the issue. I feel like I've made myself pretty well-informed, but also realize that its an emotional issue and haven't felt totally confident in expressing my own opinions on this blog. Suffice it to say that, with Jennica's genetic history, I do not feel that she should have been vaccinated on the schedule that the American Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends. Vaccinated? Yes......but at a much slower rate that would have allowed for a better measurement of response. Instead, we now know that her body does not have the full ability to remove toxins at a rate that allows her body to keep up with the dose of mercury contained (as a preservative) in many vaccines. Is that part of the reason for her SPD? We'll never know.......but it would be interesting to know if her biological relatives also have toxic loads that their bodies remove sluggishly. Those are answers that might be important to her as she moves toward adulthood, and could affect the decisions she makes in the future for her own children!

In any case, I recently ran across an article written by Jim Carrey. He manages to present the information in a straightforward manner, and allows for both sides of the issue to maintain their dignity. Rather than arguing the whole thing for the next however-many years, I wish we could all sit down and approach it with as much logic as he has. Read......think........weigh......debate........and respect. Hats off to Jim Carrey! I'm not a big fan of his acting, but give a loud "Bravo!" for his efforts here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-carrey/the-judgment-on-vaccines_b_189777.html

No comments: